Header

Forum Left Top

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default OH NO! My car is leaking oil everywhere!?

96' BMW 328i. I just changed my oil and filter and now i have a huge leak. Double checked my oil plug and filter housing. Wasnt leaking before now its leaking bad when car is on. Once again not oil plug or filter! ??????
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
RP

Remove the oil filter & see if it's large rubber seal is in place.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-04-2007, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

That was just what I was about to say R P.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Are you sure the gasket was on the new filter.Also if the old gasket didn't come off with the old filter it will cause a leak.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

You got a bummed filter.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am thinking there either was no gasket on the new oil filter or when you took the old filter down the old gasket stayed up there and now you have 2 gaskets up there and the old one blew a hole in it... better check the old filter to be sure it has one on it.. One way or another if it wasn't leaking before the oil change & now it is it really needs to either be the filter or the plug.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

that depends, was the filter you pulled off a FRAM? i had a 93 subaru and had the same problem on some fram oil filters the rubber seal stays in the housing when it is supposed to come out so if you can hear it squirting oil then check your old filter and see if the rubber seal is on it and if not then you need to check the housing again to see if you have two rubber seals!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

First don't buy a FRAM filter it doesn't not have all the little seals you need. WIX is what you probably could buy at a parts place retail that has everything you need. The big bolt that holds the filter housing has a washer on the top end. Remove the old one and replace with the new one from your filter kit. Also the drain plug has a washer seal too. Maybe you didn't see the huge black oring seal? Replace that too. Also your engine requires synthetic oil for the cam timing to be responsive.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

you probably didn't put some oil on the rubber gasket on the new filter, and it stuck and got binded, causing a leak.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Umm, correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the answer say "Once again not oil plug or filter"??So seeing everyone is saying its the oil filter, can we just clarify that its not leaking from the oil filter like you have said in your original question Take the filter housing off and make sure the rubber seal is in place, put a bit of oil on your finger and run it over the seal so when you tighten the housing down it slides down and seals nicely.Can you confirm what the "Once again not oil plug or filter!" means, seeing everyone is taking pot-shots at the being the filter, when clearing i have read that its not. Just remember gravity! Look for your oil leak and follow it up Hope this helps, Mattmattr@live.com.au